I know with time it will get better and feel more balanced. I mean, we've only had four weeks practice and we're actually doing pretty good! Last night we went out to eat as a family and it felt so fun, and so right. It was a success. Despite whatever challenges presented, I am loving our new normal. I love being a mom to two.
2.11.2010
On Being a Mom to Two
Jimmy is four weeks old today; Josie's second birthday was almost a month ago. Of course time goes by quickly when it is spent with children. Today at the doctor's office, the pediatrician remarked that Jimmy is already getting much bigger, is filling out. I look at him and he looks the same to me-- his changes happen slowly right before my eyes. But he is bigger-- he's 10 pounds, he's an inch and a half longer. My growing boy.
And Josie is a growing girl, too. I love how much she talks because I love having insight into her world. When we drive, she speaks about the things she sees ("Traingle!" as we pass a Citgo station, "Big truck, Y on it!" as a Yellow Co. truck drives by.) Last night we were listening to the Beatles and "Across the Universe" began. Josie said, "Mom! Across the Office! Do you hear it?" Office/Universe-- same difference, right?
So the kids (the kids!) are growing and changing, and I am trying to, too. Being a mom of two has presented it's own challenges-- like how do I swiftly put a two year old to bed when I have a husband at work and an infant who desperately wants to nurse? Or, what does one do when there's two meltdowns occurring? Or, how do I explain that I can't play train tracks right now because the baby has a burp WITHOUT blaming the baby? I mostly do an okay job-- but I've shed my fair share of tears, too. We are all learning how to navigate this together, and I guess the hardest part is that I miss Eric a lot, because even when we're together, it seems like we're switching off roles. He holds the baby while I quickly eat a lunch with Josie, I'll put Jimmy to bed while he plays on the floor with Josie, one of us will supervise the kids while the other one catches a nap.
I know with time it will get better and feel more balanced. I mean, we've only had four weeks practice and we're actually doing pretty good! Last night we went out to eat as a family and it felt so fun, and so right. It was a success. Despite whatever challenges presented, I am loving our new normal. I love being a mom to two.
I know with time it will get better and feel more balanced. I mean, we've only had four weeks practice and we're actually doing pretty good! Last night we went out to eat as a family and it felt so fun, and so right. It was a success. Despite whatever challenges presented, I am loving our new normal. I love being a mom to two.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I love this. It's such a learning curve, but so much fun. I still get chills when I say "kids."
This post made me cry b/c it makes me think about what I have to look forward to in the months to come. You are a great mom and I love your family!
Post a Comment