6.29.2010

Water

I've been thinking a lot about water and its uses during summer. I've noticed that so much of our recreation surrounds it, especially when the heat is high. There is truly nothing better than a dip in the pool, or a dash through the sprinkler on a hot day.

Our backyard inflatable pool is on its second summer-- which is a world record, I think. The bottom ring has a rip in it, but it still holds in water all the same. Plus, two years olds and five month olds are, in fact, not particular about the depth of water-- not yet. Here's the three of us enjoying some baby pool time:


Water in the baby pool is fun-- but some days call for a good run (or soak) from the backyard sprinkler. I relish the way Josie asks for it, "Canna we pway in the back 'ard sprink-a-ler??" And she relishes playing in it so much. Who needs a swimsuit when you are having this much fun?


Because I'm a cautious mom, before we play outside, I'm sure to slather them with sunscreen within an inch of their life. So often, when they're done playing in the pool, it's immediately time for a bath. Otherwise, they remain so slick! Josie will slither out of her booster seats, and I can barely hold onto Jimmy. So this impromptu middle-of-the-day bath often has to occur in the evening, while Eric is still at work. Which is why, I think, they invented double sinks:


As it turns out, the bigger basin is perfect for Josie, and the smaller one is just about perfect for Jimmy-- if only he could sit up on his own just a little bit better. Water in the pool, water from the sprinkler, and then water in the sink. How else have we used water this summer so far?

We have energetically played in Lake Geneva:

Josie has played with a sprinkler at Yaya's on a hot summer day:

Josie is learning how to swim in a big pool of water (she started swim lessons last week!):

And perhaps most precious of all, Jimmy was baptized in holy water this past Sunday. It's nice to think about baptism in terms of tradition-- that ancestors from hundreds of years ago similarly had blessed water sprinkled on their forehead. Jimmy was not as moved by the tradition, as he slept through the entire event, but smiled sweetly in the re-creation pictures!




Oh, and speaking of traditions, Jimmy's baptismal gown is the same one Josie wore and it used to be my wedding dress. It was good to see it again!

No comments: