9.27.2009

Reading, and writing and a big girl bed!

It has been awhile since we updated the blog, and I apologize! I guess I got caught up in the whirlwind of returning to work, adjusting to new routines, and sneaking in some extra rest when I can.

Josie learned all her letters about a week ago. It started with a love and slight obsession with her Sesame Street ABC book (which, might I point out, was in the dollar bin at Target) and eventually she was able to identify the letters on her own. I figured she just memorized the book-- but then while I was cooking she said, "p..... a..... m....!" She had read the PAM can that I set on the counter! This has since progressed to bringing me specific alphabet letters from the fridge when I request them, alphabet puzzle pieces, and reciting the letters that she sees in her everyday life. "S-O-N-Y" on the television, "H-A-N-D" on her toy dog, etc. I'm not one to boast a ton about Josie, but it really blew me away when she learned her letters this young. Right now she's up in bed reading War and Peace. Just joking, but I definitely am proud of her.

Beyond practicing letters, Josie is very fond of drawing. This delights me especially, because I also enjoy drawing and artistic creativity. One of her favorite things to do is to sit down on the floor with her sketchbook and draw the people and things from her life. (Frequent appearances by Pop Pop, his mustache, Yaya, Titi, and Will and Jess.) Here's an example of her drawing of "Melmos" (Elmos).


Another exciting milestone is that Josie has transitioned into a "big girl bed" which she calls her "new bed" (even though it's not new at all, and has sat in her room her entire life as a guest bed.) Eric and I wanted to get this done long before her little brother arrives so that she doesn't have to experience a TON of transitions all at once. Whatever I can take care of prior to the arrival of her bro, I'm going to try to do!

The transition has been seamless and Josie seems to enjoy the comfort of her new bed-- she sleeps about a half hour longer in the mornings-- which Eric and I absolutely LOVE! Here she is on her first night in her big girl bed:


The weather has been cooling down and the air already feels crisper. We're looking forward to October and the fun autumnal activities that come with it! And I should mention that we are very happy that the St. Louis Cardinals made it to the post-season and we'll enjoy some October baseball, too! Go Cards!

2 comments:

The Lucht family said...

First, I feel so flattered that Will and I are on sweet Josie's mind when she draws!

Second, she is seriously the smartest little lady EVER.

Third, she looks so sweet in her "new bed" and I love how all of her Sesame Street friends are gathered around her while she sleeps. :)

Megan said...

She's a genius! Better be scouting out advanced placement highschools. :)
And look at her in the bed. What a sweetheart.