Sushi is one of my favorite foods. I've loved it since I first tried it. I love all varieties. I love sashimi and rolls, I love vegetarian and tempura varieties. I love it all. Eric, unfortunately, does not. Now, for the most part, I firmly believe that if someone says they don't like sushi, they just haven't tried it. Eric claims he has tried it-- but I don't think he has given it an honest go. Maybe he took a nibble once. But I doubt it.
Take a look, here I am eating sushi ALONE on my freakin' honeymoon:
Anyway, this leaves me scrambling for sushi buddies. When I lived in Bloomington, Jessica and I often ate sushi together. Here we are, with a couple more girlfriends, enjoying a huge platter of sushi. Seriously, my mouth waters just looking at that picture!
It was great to have a local friend who loved the same food. Jessica's husband also doesn't like sushi, but again, has he tried it? Probably not! So, we relied on each other for many sushi meals (and Thai, and Indian, and whatever else our husband's palettes couldn't handle!)
When we moved to Milwaukee, my sushi options were limited. Sure, lots of places served and specialized in it, but my opportunities to eat it were limited. Eric didn't want to, so the only chance I got was on the occasion of my dad or Kaitlin visiting. Believe me, this happens often enough that I know my favorite sushi chef and creation at the most local sushi joint.
As Josie explored solid foods, I have made it my goal to foster a love for sushi within her. I started with vegetarian rolls (because who can resist a well made sweet potato roll?) and moved on the California rolls. I've kind of let it rest with California rolls because I don't want her to try a fishy texture and be turned off to the whole genre. Still, check out my new number one sushi buddy:
You can almost imagine my joy when I ask Josie what we should have to dinner and she enthusiastically yells "SHUSHIS!" It's a suggestion I cannot refuse.




1 comment:
Go Josie! Luke is a sushi lover, too. We should get he and Josie together for a sushi date some day.
Post a Comment