1.17.2012

Dear Jimmy

Dear Jimmy,

Happiest birthday, Buzz! It is with much disbelief that you've already turned two. You're getting so big. I love everything about you. You're the cuddliest little guy I know-- and not a day goes by where you don't get up on the couch and request a "flanket" and then as soon as I cover you  up, you scooch your little body over and say, "Mama lay next to you?" It warms my heart that you still are so over the moon with your mama. The other day I was holding you and you put your hands on my cheeks and said "Where I get such a cute boy?" And you know, I am wondering the same thing.

But though you love me to tiny pieces, we both know that your true American Idol is Josie Jean. If you're awake and she's not, you ask us a thousand times, "Where's Josie?" and if she's at preschool and you're at home, it's the same question. When Josie has gone to birthday parties and zoo trips and errands, you wander the house like a lost puppy, looking for your friend. You'll copy whatever she does and whatever she says. Even if she suggests you do something strictly against the rules, against your better judgment, you'll do it. I know I don't show it, but I love that about you two. I hope you always admire your big sister; she really is an inspiring girl.

I love how you've become so imaginative with your toys. I love watching you crouch down to your Sesame Street house and manipulate your little characters. Mostly, you make them go to bed and slide down the side of the building. But Jimmy, I remember when your main form of play was sucking on a glorified wash rag. You're sweet to your baby doll. You love to color and draw and you especially love it if someone will sit next to you and draw Frosty the Snowman. And then baby Frosty the Snowman. And how about one more Frosty? In fact, you cry when your personal artist has to stop (after sheer exhaustion or exasperation!) You love to play with puzzles, and you felt so proud of yourself when you learned how to put together your train puzzle that makes noise. You love Gnomeo and Juliet a lot. One time, I heard you mention them while you were asleep.

It's so great to be your mommy. When you were born, I was struck by what an utter stranger you were. I felt protective of the family of three I knew and loved, and how you might change that. But Jimmy, even thought I intellectually knew it then, you have personally taught me how wonderful and beautiful a family of four can be. We cannot imagine our life without you. You're our favorite little boy, and Josie solemnly answers your name whenever she's asked who's her best friend.

To many more,
Your Mama

2 comments:

Unknown said...

2 years already!? Happy Birthday, Jimmy! I love the Frosty the Snowman love!

Megan said...

What a sweet post! Happy birthday, nephew!