2.19.2012

To Josie, on her FOURTH Birthday


Dear Josie, 

First of all, I need to remind you in a really redundant, cheesy, over-done way to please, please stop growing. As my first child and original baby, it is truly unfair in many ways that you are "almost as tall as the chairs" in the dining room (as you remind me every morning.). On the morning of your birthday you woke up and admired your legs for the longest time, sure that they had grown longer during the night. Maybe they had.

This was a big year for you in a lot of ways. For one, Jimmy grew to be a more equal playmate instead of your baby brother. I noticed this, especially, in the summer when I could finally perch on a patio chair and watch you two entertain each other (after years of being the #1 source of entertainment and ideas). I love the way you are sure to reach out to him, how you ask him to try new things, and how you let me know if he's having a hard time. I truly believe that siblings have some sort of unsaid telepathy-- and there's so many times when Jimmy remains mostly quiet and you inform me, "Jimmy doesn't like doing this." or "Jimmy's kinda bored." You're his number one go-to person to interpret his moods and feelings. I hope you guys always have a special unsaid telepathic bond. I want to emphasize the importance of siblings. I will never ever joke about brothers for sale or yucky brothers or any of that (and likewise for him! No sisters for sale, either!) because when it comes down to it, family is all that you've really got. Your brother will be a great ally in your life. Mine is.

It was also a big year because you made a big leap and started preschool last fall. I knew, when I was waiting in line at 3am on registration day, that I had picked the perfect preschool. You love it so much. Sometimes, when you're playing you look up and ask if your preschool teacher can come over to play, too. I don't think you've learned any new information (you came with full knowledge and appreciation of your colors, numbers, and letters) but I have seen you grow so much in how you approach and play with others. Your willingness to take a risk has grown. And I also see your artistic ability continue to flourish. You're a talented girl and hope we always do a good job o finding you the right outlets for your talents.

Hard questions came up this past year, too. Questions about death and life and all of that. I try to answer you as honestly and as understandably as I can. I'm sorry that I started crying a little when you asked me how sad I would feel if you were to die. (The depth of that sadness is impossible to describe in words) and I'm sorry I stifled laughter when you asked if we eat  people when they die. (I know you were just generalizing what you know about animals.) I hope you continue to ask all the questions, even the ones that are tough, and especially the ones that seem like maybe they don't have answers-- talking about them helps a lot. 

I look forward to see what your fifth year of life brings, Josie. I love you very, very much.

To many more,
Your mama


No comments: