Baby June falls asleep in my arms every day. When it happens, I feel frozen in time. I revel in the minutes. I could probably put her down (she's a sound sleeper, a calm baby, and would doze off on the tiled floor if I let her), but I don't. Newborns do not last forever, and I have learned that lesson twice. When she wakes up at 2:30 or 3 in the morning, I am not getting out of bed with a smile on my face, but I am getting out of bed all the same, and I am at peace with rocking my baby for forty minutes, while she nurses and drifts back off. I wait until she's sound asleep in my arms before relocating her to the crib. It is a precious time, those forty minutes. During the last half, the people I love the most are all sleeping soundly and I am awake, soaking it all in.
She has started smiling a little. It is mostly at the top of my head, where she can see the contrast of my dark on the bright white ceiling. It's so small and sweet. Baby June is happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment