Along the way, Josie found a dandelion and started to blow the seeds away. I don't think four years olds really know how to talk to themselves inside their head, so she said all her wishes aloud.
I wish I were as tall as my mom.
I wish I could drive a car.
I wish I were a fairy for real.
I wish I could meet a fairy.
I wish we could go to Six Flags.
I wish I could do a headstand.
As she said her wishes, I thought of my own wishes for her.
I wish you didn't have to grow up
I wish your feelings never got hurt at school.
But I stopped there because my emotions got too overwhelming. On Friday, Josie had her first fight with a friend and it breaks my heart. I mean, I understand that these are journeys she has to take, that we all take, and the she will ultimately come out of it a better person. But, what I wouldn't give to protect her from all of that. I mean, my strongest message I REALLY wanted to give her was NEVER TALK TO THAT DUMB BRAT EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! How dare she hurt my baby's feelings. My Josie! My sweet, innocent girl who happens to be perfect inside and out.
Instead of the nugget of wisdom I WANTED to share, I emailed her teacher, described what Josie had shared, and asked if we could talk in the morning. This morning our meeting happened, and Josie told her teacher what she felt. And today, at pickup, she was all smiles, and cheerfully told me that she played with a different girl today. Things are okay. Life is still simple at age four.
In other news, guess who's super smiley lately??
Baby June!!


No comments:
Post a Comment