8.02.2009

Oshkosh B'gosh!

This past Thursday, my dad took Josie and I to the air show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. My dad has been attending this air show off and on for the past twenty years! Josie and I were happy to join him this year. We didn't have amazing weather; it rained off an on, but Josie really got a kick out of seeing the different airplanes. Though, if I'm being honest, I think they impressed her as much as the golf carts, mopeds, tractors, and school buses that we saw traveling the grounds.


Here's my dad, me, and Josie in front of a P-40. Or is it a P-51? Grandpa Whalen, my dad said this is the same kind of plane you used to pilot in WWII, so whatever one you piloted, that's what it is! Josie liked it a lot because of the shark. I don't know if I've mentioned it on the blog, but Josie has really taken an interest in sharks-- but only the friendly kind that play in her bathtub. I'm not quite sure she knows just yet what fierce killers sharks can be!


Here's Josie and her Pop-Pop outside Virgin Galactic's WhiteKnight Two. WhiteKnight Two is an aircraft that will eventually make commercial flights into space possible. We almost got to see WhiteKnight Two take off, but the weather prevented it. It would've been a sight to behold, as only one plane like this exists in the world! We did get to see it taxi on the runway, which was neat enough.


Here's Josie and I outside the largest commercial jumbo jet out there-- The Airbus A380. It was HUGE! It almost looked like a cruise ship with wings. We would've loved to have seen the inside, but a two hour line and an 18 month old simply do not mix. It was hard to imagine something so large and powerful flying so delicately in the air.
Well, after viewing the largest plane in the industry, Josie decided she needed to relax in a plane more her size! She absolutely loved playing in this tiny aircraft, and the others ones scaled to kiddo-size.

It was a great day at the airshow and it was exciting to see it through Josie's big blue eyes. Whenever I grew weary of the long walks, the rain, whatever, Josie would be so excited and elated to see a helicopter circling above, or a tractor cross our path. It was awesome and she helped keep all our spirits lifted-- you might say we were sky-high. :-)

No comments: