8.12.2011

Summer Updates

Hi friends and family. It's been a busy summer. I taught summer school for the first six weeks (keeping in mind, my summer break amounts to a solid 11 weeks... so I worked through over half of it.) Summer school always seems like a great idea-- extra pay, something to motivate me to get ready and out of the house, but maaaaan it really eats away the length of a break. I'm getting quite a few new students in my CD class and it was a wonderful opportunity to get to know them and their family, so overall I would say it was worth the time and money! At the end of summer I return to work full time, so I think that's partly why I'm wishing for more time with Josie and Jimmy-- I know that September is looming, when I'll really only see them between 4:45 and bedtime five days a week.

We've had an excellent and busy summer so far. Once we neared the end of the school year, it was finally-- FINALLY- warm enough to play outside in the sprinklers. Josie has always been my water baby and of course she was thrilled and delighted to have the opportunity to play in the sprinkler again. I swear, that six dollar sprinkler is like, the best thing I ever bought at Target.



My first weekend after the regular school year was spent on the Markel Farm in Sidell, Illinois to see my dear friend Lindsey, marry the love of her life, Larry. Lindsey and I have been pals for well over a decade and she stood in my own wedding. Her wedding was a BLAST and it was also the first time the kids had an over-nighter at their Yaya's. They did just fine and I was able to have fun with my friends without worrying about bed times and snacks and stories and everything else that I have done on a nightly basis for the past three and a half years.


Soon after school ended, we went on our annual visit to Parker Lake. It was a little bit chilly (mid-70s) while we were there, so I wasn't exactly inclined to go swimming a lot, but guess who was? (Hint: Not Jimmy.) It was nice to be there with family though-- some of my own (my mom, Tom, and Kacie joined in) and some of Eric's (his parents, his grandparents, Brandon, Aunt Donna, and Uncle Robert, Aunt Jessie, Henry and Mary.)




At the end of the month, Kaitlin had a graduation party at my mom's house, so we went to Illinois to celebrate. It was great because my dad's brother, Tim, and his son, Steven were able to join us. I hadn't seen either one in quite some time, and it was cool to introduce them to Josie. (They had met Jimmy a year ago, when at my Pop-Pop's funeral.) It was a bittersweet time, though, because it was the last time the family could hang out while Marty and Megan and Penny still lived in Chicago. Shortly after this visit they relocated to NYC. (More on that, later!)


That's everyone, plus my cousin Steven and my Uncle Tim. (The guy on the left is Sean, Kaitlin's boyfriend of almost two years-- not sure if he's made a blog appearance yet.)

So that brings us to July...

Of course, on the fourth of July Eric had to work-- on the bright side, he was able to join us for fireworks, but on the downside, he missed the world famous Greendale parade. (Not actually world famous, but world famous to Josie and Jimmy!) They loved it, but it was a scorcher! I feel like it's always BLAZING HOT on the fourth of July and I seem to always forget to stake out our parade spot IN THE SHADE. Whatever. The kids loved it and I don't believe Jimmy had ever enjoyed quite so many suckers in one day.


We spent many warm July afternoons in the backyard playing in the pool and sprinkler. Josie was tenacious in her efforts to get Jimmy to love the water just as much as she did, but, alas, no dice.


Towards the end of July, once summer school ended, we started doing a lot more fun things that required a little more travel time. We went to Six Flags Great America. Allison was able to come with us, which was great because it was the last time we'd see her until Thanksgiving. It also was the perfect arrangement because Allison and I could go on thrill rides and Eric could hang back with the kids (willingly, I should add, because Eric suddenly is "not into" rollercoasters??!) 

Anyway, the biggest surprise of all was that Josie is a little thrill-seeker. I had prepared her for thrill rides by showing her youtube clips, because I wanted her to understand that the screaming was because people were having fun (and maybe a little terrified) but not because they were in pain. We watched POV videos of the kiddie coasters. She seemed indifferent about them, really. When we got to the park we went on family friends rides-- a carousal, a low speed scrambler type thing, hot air balloons. But then Josie wanted to try the Yankee Clipper-- which is essentially a log flume ride, but in a boat. I was hesitant and pointed out the huge drop. I reminded her it would go fast and she might feel scared. She was like "Okay, well I'll scream and laugh?" And guess what? SHE DID. She absolutely LOVED it. The boring kiddie rides couldn't compete. Sure, she'd try them out and have a good time, but after every one she'd ask, "Can we go on the boats again?" She really loved the family coasters Six Flags offers and the only hard part of the trip was gently letting her down when she wasn't tall enough to ride the zero to 75 mph twisting up in the air thriller coaster. 


(Note: Josie got a hair cut! After much insistence on her part, she got a lot of her hair cut off. She wanted her hair to be "as short as Jimmy's" and we compromised with a super cute layered A-line bob.)

A few days after Six Flags, my dad came to town and took us to EAA Airventure. It has become a bit of a tradition to accompany my dad to the air show. The kids really love looking at all the aircrafts. It was a very hot day, and Jimmy and I cashed in early-- we retreated to the nice air conditioning of the car. Jimmy even fell asleep in the way back. Meanwhile, my dad and Josie took their time looking at some more airplanes. Josie really loves checking out all the planes. We had a great time and it's always a special trip. 

Don't trust these pilots, though...

The next day, (yes, the next day!! What a week!) We woke up early and drove to Chicago to see THE WIGGLES!! Jimmy is VERY into the Wiggles, and Josie likes them, too. (And I like Anthony Wiggle, okay?) I don't really know how to review a Wiggles concert-- the music was exactly what I expected and the kids had a ball dancing in the aisles and seeing all their TV friends right there in person-- except Jeff (Jimmy says: 'eff.) Jeff was out and so Brad took his place. There are still conversations in this house about Jeff being sick and Brad being the purple Wiggle. It's like, a daily discussion. 

Here we are, ready for a WIGGLY PARTY:

Early August, as everyone in Wisconsin knows, brings you the grand champion of summer, the State Fair. We always go on opening day. This year my mom and Tom came the weekend afterwards and took Josie for a second dose. It was great to see the animals and ride the rides, and my favorite part, fair food!! I didn't try anything too crazy, but I really loved my french fries.

Here's my favorite rooster and sunflower:

So that brings us up to date! Now remember, I mentioned NYC and said more on that later. It's later. Soon we're all going on a family vacation to New York City to see Marty, Megan, and Penny. I have never been to the big apple, and I am soooo looking forward to the trip. I wanted to be sure to update the blog so that the next entry can be devoted to our vacation. (Kacie is kind enough to house-sit for us. I hope this house behaves.)  Summer has gone by way, way too fast. After our NYC trip, I have less than a week before the next school year begins. I think about it every day. 




1 comment:

Sugardrive said...

I totally wish you would blog more often, you know...in your "spare" time, but I know how that goes. :)